Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dear Dr. Scholl...

Dear Dr. Scholl,

I recently purchased a pair of your Tri-Comfort Orthotics and must say that I am extremely satisfied with their performance. So please understand that it is not the product I am concerned with here.

It is the instructions that accompanied the product.

Now, these orthotics (kudos to you, by the way, for finding such a fancy and clinical-sounding substitute for “squishy insoles”) really only fit in my shoes one way. There are those who could, I suppose, with a great deal of effort and a sharp pair of scissors, make them fit other ways, but for those of us who just assume that the simplest and most obvious answer is the correct one, there is but a single option.

So it really wasn’t necessary for me to read the printed accompaniment that stated “Place Tri-Comfort Orthotics in your shoe so the slightly elevated arch support area rests against the inside edge of the shoe.” I know you had to say it, product liability in a lawsuit-happy world and all, I really do understand why you had to say that.

What I completely fail to understand is why you felt you had to say what you said next.

Because in addition to the above statement about aligning the arch support of the orthotic with the inside edge of the shoe, you were thoughtful enough to print “L” and “R” on the corresponding bottoms of orthotics themselves.

So with all of that in mind, please explain this; if someone is unable to determine that “L” and “R” stand for “Left” and “Right” when printed on products intended for footwear, do you really think the following instruction is going to be helpful?

“The orthotic with the Dr. Scholl’s logo fits into your left shoe.”

Really, Dr. Scholl?

Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment